About 1900 Charlotte real estate developer Clayton O. Brown purchased
a tract of land north of the old County Home Road (later renamed
Parkwood Avenue) from an A.W. Calvin. This area was marketed as
the Villa Heights subdivision. Included were Grace, Union, Barry,
and Lola streets, plus the 1800-1900 blocks of Harrill, Allen,
Pegram, Umstead, and Parson streets. The earliest trolly line
in this working-class district began service shortly before 1910.
It ran north past the Louise Mill, then up Pegram Street all the
way to Parkwood Avenue. Its terminus at Parkwood Avenue put most
of the Villa Heights and Sunnyside subdivisions within an easy
walk of the streetcar. It was not surprising that the most working-class
of the trio was located in the Belmont-Villa Heights area, Charlotte's
largest and most homogeneous concentration of working-class residents.
Today this neighborhood is experiencing urban renewal as many
properties are being renovated. Preliminary plans for light rail
show a station at 27th Street & N Davidson. Eventually a light
rail corridor should connect this area to the Uptown, and University
area. Recently the NoDa Artists Network Gallery opened at North
Davidson and 28th Street.